Friday, September 01, 2006

The Greatest Cigar Ever

I've told this story a crap load of times but I thought I'd retell it one more time at least.

This story is about the greatest cigar I ever had. The reason I'm thinking about this again is because my buddy Marco and I found this cigar again at a cigar shop in Pasadena. Any ways, here goes.

I was in Vegas last year for my buddies bachelor party. Good times. We were well on our way to getting smashed and we went to one of our many stops that night, a strip club. Ah yes the good old strip clubs, very good times. We were drinking and having a good time, then I get up to use the facilities. Turns out there's some dude in there selling crap, like gum, cologne, cigars. I ask him how much the cigars where and he tells me. I was like damn that's a rip off, I can live without a cigar for the night. So I go back outside and sit with my buddies and damn it if one them doesn't buy a cigar. If you don't know by now, I really enjoy a good cigar, probably more than I should, but I do. So the smell of the cigar got to me, I got up and went to see the man about a cigar. I walk in and ask him for a particular one that he had and he said "sorry man all out". Damn. My buddy walks in and tells the guy "hey show him the good stuff man". So this guy pulls out a cigar in a glass vile sealed with wax and he goes on about this cigar being the best cigar he had. It apparently had been soaking in cognac for 20 years, at least that's what he said. He really had a good story for it. He told me the price and by this point I was a little more drunk and really craving a smoke so I bought it regardless the price. At least the price included a cool little light show with some matches and he lit the cigar for me.

The one thing that came to mind was an old simpsons episode where Barny walks into Moe's during a short prohibition on alcohol and Moe charges him an absurd amount of money for the beer. Barney says "this better be the best beer I've ever had" he takes a drink and then says "you got lucky". That is exactly how I felt. I began smoking the cigar and was like damn this is the best cigar ever!!! I don't know if it was the drunkenness. The fact that I was smoking indoors or all of the naked women parading about the place, but man I tell you that was the greatest cigar ever!!!!

After finding this cigar here in Pasadena I was actually afraid to smoke it. I had built it up so much in my mind that I was afraid that if I smoked it and it wasn't as good as that night then bam, I just shot down a good memory. Damn, I was in a predicament.

Well I went out for a night of drinking and I was well on my way to getting smashed again. Good times. I thought this is great, I'll be drunk and I'll smoke the cigar it will be great! The legend will live on! Turns out I got a little to drunk and never got around to smoking the damn thing! I laughed about it the next day.

So today I finally smoked that legendary cigar and I'm happy to say it still is the greatest cigar ever. That, my friends is a good memory.

1 comment:

Jeans Pants said...

This is not, the greatest cigar in the world No, This is just a tribute.