Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Safety In Numbers

It is said that there is safety in numbers. Well how about 20,000. That sound safe enough? I tell you that it sure as hell felt safe. What am I talking about you ask? I'm talking about the largest single-day motorcycling event in the world, The Love Ride.

I love riding my motorcycle, it's one of the things in life that I know that every time I do it I'm going to have a great time. I go out and I can be feeling like crap, but when I'm out there riding I have to focus on just that, riding. I'm cautious of the people around me, I enjoy the world, I feel the wind in my face, I can enjoy all of the feelings that come with riding, I take it all in fully and gratefully. Man do I love riding.

I go out and I am very cautious of other motorists on the road. I mean I'm just a lone rider on a small (compared to the huge SUV's out there) vehicle. So I always keep an eye out in anticipation of what other people are and aren't going to do. I've had some close calls but thankfully I'm still here in one piece.

This past Sunday was different though. This past Sunday I met up with 20,000+ other riders in Glendale for the Love Ride. I've ridden alone for the 2 years that I've owned a motorcycle. Let me tell you going from riding alone to riding with thousands of other bikers is an amazing difference. The event blocked off about 6 city blocks in Glendale. The streets were full of motorcycles, mostly Harley's. In middle of it all there I was.

The day started early with all riders meeting in Glendale where we were treated to a small concert and the joy of watching almost every kind of bike imaginable ride down the street. Cruisers and sport bikes alike. It was amazing. At 9:3oam the ride was to begin to Lake Castaic, about 40 miles north of Glendale.

I used to describe the sound of a Harley as a man made thunderous roar that could be heard rolling down the street, a beautiful sound that brings joy to my heart and many others that love to ride. On Sunday my description changed, the sound of not only one but twenty thousand plus Harley's rolling down the 5 freeway was more like the crack of lightning multiplied hundreds of times per minute. The sound is impressive, amazing, deafening, beautiful, it's everything you can imagine pure uninhibited mechanical power to sound like. I loved every beat of those engines rolling down the highway on our forty mile journey to Lake Castaic. That day I didn't have to worry about the other vehicles on the road, that day the other vehicles on the road had to worry about us! It's a feeling that I will never forget and one that I plan on repeating for years to come.

The day ended with a concert from the Black Crowes which was great to watch. The people were great. Everyone was happy, no problems arose and all the chrome was beautiful as it created a glistening river down the road. I had a great time. Maybe next year one of you will be able to share in the experience with me, I'm sure you'll remember it for a lifetime.

2 comments:

Jeans Pants said...

Hey that sounds pretty fucking cool! It's too bad it couldnt have ended with "The Justin" concert. I head those guys ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

motorcycles are the shit son...now if you would only let me ride your motorcycle...i proved that i have my license...i miss riding... alot...it's one of the best feelings in the world...especially when you are a chick riding and people are like...DAMN that's a chick riding....but i guess you will never know that feeling until you actually let people know you are a chick...damn it pablo...let em know