Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tis The Season

Let me start this with a short story. Once upon a time, not terribly long ago there lived a boy who didn't have much in the world. He had his family (sort of), his brothers, but most importantly there were people in the world who apparently cared about people like him. By "people like him", I mean poor, unable to have the "normal" things in life people.

This boy would stand in line every week with his mother waiting for food to be handed out. A few grocery bags were a godsend for them. He would run to the park every day during the summer for a free lunch and games to play with other kids just as poor. The park was a highlight of his day. Finding a huge cardboard box from some recently bought appliance was a delight for him and his friends, it provided hours of entertainment. His imagination ran rampant with all of the possibilities this new found "fortress" provided. He missed his dad. He wished that his dad didn't have to work so far away to try and provide for his family. All he really wanted was to have him home for the holidays. He didn't really care for the presents, all he wanted was his family.

Presents. When it means your family has to be away for you to have them you don't want them. This boy would rather do without, but knowing that his father would be away and the money that he sent would only be enough for some food and rent, he did secretly wish for some new toy. Just like the other "normal" families. But he never asked, he was ashamed to ask for something so trivial when they barely had enough.

Some of the memories that will always stay with him is going with his mother and brother to church a few days before Christmas. There he would receive a free meal with his family and at the end of it he would be given a toy, him and his younger brother. It was great. He had his Christmas gift, the one he was ashamed to ask for. The memory of that toy is faint, but the memory of the joy that he felt will live with him forever.

Now that he has grown he understands that the toy and gifts that he received all those Christmas' ago, were from people who gave of themselves the little extra that they could to help "people like him".

I know this story well and I can tell it a few different ways. I can do this because all of those Christmas' ago I was so happy when I received my gift along with my brother. I was thankful for the food my family received every week. I was overjoyed when I was able to see my dad for a few hours every few months at a time. I know this story well because it's mine.

This story is why every year I try to give whatever extra that I have to Charity. A toy costs me a few bucks, but the joy that it brings a child is priceless. Believe me I know this first hand. This year I am trying to give what little extra that I can, it is very little this year. But I will not fail to give. Every latte you buy, every beer, every movie you rent, everything you treat yourself to, think, what can these few bucks provide someone who has close to nothing. Ask yourself, can I live without a beer tonight or a movie rental this week and buy a complete stranger something just because?

This year I started a collection at my job for toys to donate to an organization "Toys For Tots", they in turn distribute all of the toys to local shelters and churches. I ask all of you that still read this blog of mine to please give this year. I know most of you personally and if you buy something to donate I'd be more than happy to pick it up from you. If you read this and we can't keep in touch like that, then please remember there is someone out there who would really appreciate your kindness. Please donate somewhere, it does make a difference in someones life. It made a difference in mine, it was a part of what makes me the man that I am today.

Tis the season, to bring happiness to someone, to shape a life, to feel good about yourself, to . . . . . . .

1 comment:

Jeans Pants said...

That was a good story with a great point. Whether you wanted the post to inspire this thought in me or not but I feel like not buying anyone at all presents this year and just giving to charity. I mean sure, I love my friends and family and all but really, they all have enough.